Monday, April 4, 2011

Amococo

Wow, once again I've neglected this poor blog. :(  I have a few posts in the works, so hopefully I'll get around to actually finishing & posting them before another 2 months go by!

First up:  Amococo

One of the blogs I subscribe to is I Heart Mesa.  They always have a lot of different things to do posted.  We've gotten quite a few ideas of things to do in our area from that blog.  Anyway, they had posted about Amococo being at the Mesa Arts Center for a limited time.  I thought it looked interesting, and tickets were cheap, so the hubs & I decided to go.  We were SO glad that we did.  It was AH-MAZING.  Seriously.

This is a blurb from their website, giving a brief description of what it is:

"Amococo is the most labyrinthine luminarium, featuring as it does 86 triaxial domes and 71 pods that together create a complex of pathways where the visitors may happily lose themselves.


Built in 2008, Amococo’s common visual motif is the ‘oculus’ – an ovoid window that allows light to gently diffuse into the domes. This is most strikingly effective in the cupola of the central dome where the ceiling resonates with iridescent rainbow hues.


Amococo is the luminarium with the potential to be set up in a very long narrow configuration approaching 80 metres in length."

I think the photos we took speak for themselves. 


This is what it looked like from the outside.  The material is really thin... as thin as your t-shirt.  And the colors are all from the light shining in through the fabric.  It was ll hand cut & glued together - no stitching!






There are several domes in it.  This photo is taken looking up at one of them.
  


I highly recommend seeing it if it comes to your area!  It really is a unique experience.  We were in awe the entire time we walked around it.  Very very cool!


No comments: