Monday, March 15, 2010

Updates Galore

My poor neglected blog! :)

Sam & I are doing well. Things are really falling into place for us. He got a new job at his company. He was working as a contractor; meaning that he wasn't actually employed by B of A. He was employed by another company. This also means that because he wasn't actually employed by B of A, and by another company, he didn't get vacation time, or benefits, or paid holidays. Yes, we moved here all the way from Seattle for what was technically a temp job. We took a huge leap of faith, and trusted that this would be the best move for us. Anyway, he got hired on with big bad bank, and is now a full fledged employee. This comes with a fabulous benefits package, as well as a hefty pay raise. We couldn't be happier. :) I'm very proud of Sam. I know he's worked very hard to get this position, and it's going to lead to a lot of wonderful career opportunities with B of A.

Unfortunately, for some of my family, things aren't going as well. Things are pretty tense between my parents. My dad has been working out of town for the past year. Although he'll be there indefinitely, my mom doesn't want to relocate to where he is. So a year of long distance, and my mom living alone has put a damper in their relationship. To the point we're not sure if they'll make it through this. It's so very sad. My mom is my dad's world. My mom & work. That's the two most important things in my dad's life. I feel like my mom is being very selfish right now, and it's really difficult to bite my tongue. I don't really feel as though it's my place to comment on their relationship. Yes, they're my parents, but they are husband and wife first and foremost. So, that's weighing heavily on me.

One of my younger brothers has struggled with drugs since he was 15. He's now 27. He has been in and out of jail since he was 19. He was released last February, and went to live in WA with our older brother. He had a girlfriend that was a former addict, and had been clean and sober for 4 years. They were doing great, staying sober, working the program, good jobs full of potential... We all thought that maybe this will be the time. The time he actually stays sober & stays on track. Then he lost his job, and of course, he doesn't know how to cope with life when it's not perfect without using. So he started using. His girlfriend also started using. They moved in with her parents. They were kicked out of there, and started living with his buddy. A couple weeks ago, they were busted for possession of oxycontin with intent to sell. Of course, they swear they only had one pill between the two of them, but I don't buy that for a moment. He's a pathalogical liar. Always has been. Probably always will. I can't believe anything he says. It sucks. He's my brother. I love him. But I can't believe him. And I certainly can't trust him. Now he's waiting to hear what will happen to him. He could be extradited, or he could just serve a few months where he is. We'll see.

So that's my family drama at the moment. Sucks, but it is what it is. I just keep praying that it'll all work out, and all that. I really hope it does.

We had some friends in town this past weekend. It was so good to see Will & Anna! I absolutely adore them. Seriously. Everytime I see them, I am so thankful for the friendship we have. Will is Sam's best friend. In the 2 1/2 years Sam & I have been married, we've become more and more close to them. Unfortunately, they live in the OC. So we don't see them nearly often enough. But they're the perfect "couple friend". Sam & Will are obviously close, I adore Will, and Anna & I become closer friends with each visit. They're at a similar place in life as we are... in that they're newly married, and don't have kids yet. I wish we could find another couple that's local that we click so well with. We had a great time hanging out with them. Lots of laughs were had, and just good ol' catching up.

It was so nice having Will & Anna here, as Sam & I are still somewhat struggling to have a social life here, in AZ. We don't know many people, so it's kind of limited. We get together occasionally with one of his coworkers & her husband, but that's about it. Hopefully we'll meet other people, and slowly start building up a nice group of friends. We're hopeful. :)

I have rejoined Weight Watchers. I finally got on the scale on Saturday, only to discover that in the nine months I've been in AZ, I have gained back nearly all the weight I lost prior to moving out here. It's not surprising, but it is a little disheartening. So, i'm back on the wagon. Baby's wedding is next March. I've got a little less than a year to get myself in shape, and lose some of this weight!

Well, I think that's about all I've got for now. I'm going to try (no, really!) to blog more often. Hopefully I'll keep to it!

No comments: