Photo by Amber Roberts Photography
Sam moved to Washington in September 2005. He lived in Poulsbo with his parents, as he was looking for a job and all that fun stuff. So, he would take the ferry over to Seattle every weekend, so we could spend time together. It was hard, but we made it work. We dated for two years, always talking about our future together. We both knew that we wanted to spend the rest of lives together, I just didn't know when that would begin!
Photo by Amber Roberts Photography
I turned 30 on October 22, 2006. Sam had something planned for me the weekend after my birthday, but he wanted to keep it a surprise. Turned out he had a weekend planned for us at our favorite hotel in Bellingham - The Hotel Bellwether.
On October 28, 2006, Sam & I went to dinner, and then he decided he wanted dessert when we got back to the hotel. Not wanting to leave again, he decided we should just have dessert at the hotel restaurant. So we go to the restaurant, and Sam checks in. They bring us to our table. Which was in their private wine cellar room, that we had all to ourselves. I was kind of wondering what was going on, but Sam likes to do big romantic gestures from time to time, so it wasn't that far out of place for him.
Our private wine cellar at Harborside Bistro
The hostess seated us, but "forgot" the dessert menu. She came back in with just one. (which should have been a tip off, and yet it wasn't). She handed it to Sam, who proceeded to look it over, and then hand it to me so I could decide what I wanted. I perused the menu, and at the bottom there was a message addressing me. Saying how he loves me, wants to spend the rest of his life with me, and asking if I'd marry him. I look up, just in time to see him getting down on one knee on the other side of the table. Of course, tears, and hugs, and a chorus of "yes, yes, yes" ensued. The ring was placed, and we were officially engaged!
Photo by Amber Roberts Photography
And so the wedding planning began. I never wanted the big wedding. Honestly, all I wanted was to get married on a beach, with just family, and close friends, and that's it. However that all went out the window, when I fell in love with the son of two pastors. So, a church wedding it was!
Photo by Amber Roberts Photography
We had long ago decided to get married at this quaint little church in Port Gamble, WA. We got that booked, and the rest just sort of fell into place.
Photo by Amber Roberts Photography
It was a challenge, as most of our guests were coming from the Seattle area, or Eastern Washington, so our venue involved a ferry ride. And if you know anything about the WA ferries in the summer... you know there's often times a very long wait. Luckily, that didn't seem to be too much of an issue, and we had a great turnout.
Photo by Amber Roberts Photography
Our wedding day was amazing. It was so wonderful to be surrounded by so many close family and friends all at one time. We were truly blessed. I am in awe that it really was 3 years ago. It's crazy how time flies! In that time, we've survived a lengthy unemployment run, had my Dad live with us, moved 1500 miles away from our friends and family, adopted 2 fur babies, and are so much stronger. Everything we've been dealt, we've conquered it together, and I couldn't ask for anyone better to do that with! Happy anniversary to us!
Photo by Amber Roberts Photography
So, there it is... The story of Sam & Shawna. :)
Photo by Amber Roberts Photography
And just for funsies... Here's a link to our wedding slide show the photographer put together for us. I still love it!










1 comment:
Aww Congrats you two. I love your story. *Tears*
Post a Comment