Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Remember Me? It's been awhile...

Oops.  I can't believe it's been so long since I've posted on here.  Ay yi yi!  I don't really know where to start, so I'll just recap a couple of the bigger things that have happened in the last 5 weeks.  Since this has gotten incredibly long, I am going to break it into two posts.  Impressed?  You'll get back to back posts from me!  Woo hoo!  Might wanna mark it on the calendar.  It'll be less than 3 weeks between posts.  THAT doesn't happen often.


So first things first...


The in-laws were here visiting back in May.  If I ever feel the need to take an extended amount of time off while they're in town visiting, PLEASE direct me to this post.  It was exhausting. I do MUCH better with small little spurts of visiting.  I love them, I really do.  They are wonderful people, so very good to us.  They have treated me as if I were their own daughter from day one.  I really am blessed in that they love me (& of course their son) so very much.  I feel I need to preface what I'm going to say, because it's not the nicest. 
  • They are so incredibly judgemental, I can't stand it.  No one is immune from the judgement.  Gays?  Without a doubt.  Mormons?  Oh yeah.  Emo dressed?  You betcha.  They compared everything to WA.  Everything. 
  • According to them, WA is a horrible place. It's pretty much a crap place to live, there's nothing there, is ugly, there's really no redeeming quality.  I grew up in WA.  I still love it there.  It is not a horrible place.  It's far from ugly, it has a lot to offer people... So that kind of irked me.  Silly?  Yes.  But, it is what it is. 
  • They have to be right.  At all times. And if they're not?  They'll find a way to be right.  This is mostly my MIL.  We went shopping together one day.  Sam & his Dad went to Guitar Center, so his mom & I headed to the mall.  We were wandering around Dillards shoe department, when she mentions to me that her friend was looking for a pair of basic black heels that only have a 2 inch heel.  I point out a pair to her, and she says that's a MUCH higher heel than 2 inches.  I said I didn't think so, I thought it was maybe 2 or 2 1/2 inches.  She goes up to the sales associate, and asks for a freaking TAPE MEASURE so that she could prove me wrong.  Seriously?! Who does that?! Oh, my MIL.  That's who.  I conveniently wandered off when I saw her approach the sales associate.  There was no way I could be near her and not lose my ish.  When I did find her again (giving ample time for the measuring of the freaking heel) She informed me that the heel on that shoe was actually 4 inches, and it just goes to show that they're higher than you think.  I replied telling her that I guess I must mostly wear 10 inch heels because majority of my shoes are all much higher than that.
  • They are better than everyone. Or so they think.  Ugh.  Seriously, could you be any more condescending?  So irritating.
So, I decided to go by the "if you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all" motto.  For the most part, it worked.  There were a few times that I just couldn't keep my mouth shut.  But overall, it worked. I have to admit that I was a little relieved to hear that they drove Sam nuts as well.  He's an only child, and tends to be somewhat of a Mama's Boy.  So it was nice to know I wasn't alone in my frustrations.


So yeah.  That was the visit with my in-laws in a nutshell.  Please tell me I'm not the only one with in-laws that drive them batty. 

No comments: